Safe SUP Adventure
Written by Menswear Style
Health & Fitness
20th April 2022
/ 6 Tips for A Fun and Safe SUP Adventure
When it comes to stand up paddle boarding, or SUPing, there are a few key things to keep in mind to ensure you have a fun and safe adventure. Here are six important tips to keep in mind:
1. Have the right gear and accessories
When you are planning your next great stand up paddle boarding adventure, don’t forget the importance of having the right gear. The right gear and paddle board accessories can make all the difference in having a fun and safe time out on the water. Here’s what you should know to help you have the best possible SUP experience:
– Make sure you have a well-made paddle board that is the right size for you. A good-quality board will help you glide through the water with ease and keep you stable when paddling.
– Invest in a comfortable life jacket that fits properly. You want to be able to move freely while wearing it and not have it constrict your movement or breathing.
– Choose paddles that are the right length for your height. Paddles that are too short or too long can make paddling more difficult and can cause you to lose your balance.
– Invest in a SUP electric pump. If you are using an inflatable SUP, manually inflating your board can be a real workout. An electric pump can save you time and energy, especially if you have multiple inflatable SUPs to bring so you won’t feel worn out when you hit the water.
– Bring a GoPro mount to capture breathtaking videos of the sea and the rocks, and to record exciting SUP moments and achievements.
– Make it a point to always bring a spare fin for your SUP. Losing one can ruin your SUP adventure – so have a spare with you – especially if you plan on touring long distances.
2. Choose the right location
When you’re planning your adventure, make sure to pick a location that is safe and has good conditions for paddle boarding. When you’re first starting out, it’s important to choose a calm body of water. Once you’ve mastered the basics, you can venture out into rougher waters. But for beginners, it’s best to stick with flat water locations like lakes or bays. Also, make sure that your location is free from obstacles. Once you’ve found the perfect spot, be sure to check the weather conditions before heading out.
3. Wear the right SUP clothing
One of the most important tips for having a fun and safe SUP adventure is to wear the right clothing. This includes clothes that will protect you from the sun, as well as clothes that will keep you warm if you happen to fall into the water. Wearing the right clothing will help you enjoy your time on the water and stay safe at the same time. So, what should you wear when you go out on your SUP adventure? First of all, make sure to wear sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Secondly, if you’re going to be paddling in colder waters, make sure to wear a wetsuit or drysuit to keep yourself warm. You should also wear comfortable clothing that won’t restrict your movement. And lastly, always wear a life jacket when you’re out on the water, just in case.
4. Paddle with a friend
It’s always more fun and safer to paddle with a friend. If you’re paddling in open water, it’s important to have someone with you in case of an emergency. For example, if you fall off your board or run into trouble, someone will be there to help you. And if you get tired, they can give you a tow.
5. Be aware of your surroundings
One of the most important things to do when stand up paddle boarding is to be aware of your surroundings. When you’re paddle boarding, you’ll be spending a lot of time on your feet. This will give you a clear vantage point and a good view of what’s going on around you. That means you can be aware of the weather conditions, other people in the water, and any potential hazards in the area. By being aware of your surroundings, you can help keep yourself safe and avoid any potential accidents. Thus, pay attention to other boats and swimmers and be aware of any potential hazards.
6. Know your limits
Paddle boarding is a great way to enjoy time on the water, but it’s important to know your limits. If you’re not comfortable swimming in open water, paddle boarding may not be the activity for you. Make sure to take a few lessons before heading out on your own and always go with a friend or group. Paddle boarding is also a great workout but it can be tough on your body if you’re not used to it. So start slowly and build up your endurance. And if you start to feel tired, take a break.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you have a fun and safe stand up paddle boarding adventure. Just remember to be aware of your surroundings, wear the proper safety gear, go with a friend, and listen to your body – and you’ll be sure to enjoy your time on the water.